Gentian Impact - GGJ Rome (out of contest!)

Hey hey! As a coherence employee I obviously wasn’t eligible to take part in our contest, but I still went all the way to Rome from Malmö and made a game at GGJ with a group of friends (who, the poor sods, became also ineligible to submit the game :slight_smile: ).

The game is called Gentian Impact, and it is a small action game in which the players try to gather a quite well-known root* from a specific region in Italy, genziana, that is used to produce a famous digestive liquor. Apparently this root is so looked-after that it’s illegal to gather it in the wild.

In our game, players go around fetching gentian roots, planting it, and obtaining seeds to plant more. In order to protect their fields, they can place fences - which other players can bring down with a few hits.

All roots, seeds, fences are persistent, so when logging in again one will find big fields full of resources and spoils of war :smiley:

Me fighting with my teammate Matteo (Joe):

My friend Glenda had planted quite the gentian, and I was going to get it all!

Fencing a player out:

The shop, where you buy fences and sell the bottles of genziana you made:

Quite happy with the result, given that we started on SATURDAY AFTERNOON (I’m not even joking).

This is our GGJ entry, but the game is playable here in WebGL (though it’s no fun without a couple of friends)

Credits: Ennio Pirolo, Augusto Pace, Matteo Scimonelli, Ciro Continisio.

One curiosity: one of my teammates was a programmer but not an expert in Unity. He was still able to contribute quite a lot by using ChatGPT as a personal assistant, he would type what he wanted to do in natural language, and the AI would reply with steps to follow and bits of code! I was quite impressed.

* “Roots” was the theme of GGJ this year

1 Like

I wish I knew about this CGJ when it was active. These entries look great. I love the way the camera kinda tilts down when youre walking down. Small touch but nice perspective.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, MelKaven!

Fun fact, that is not something I put in on purpose. It happens because we use Cinemachine, which adds a bit of delay to the camera following the player’s movements. So when moving at full speed the camera lags behind, but then also adjusts to look at the player - which makes it rotate. When you stop, you see the camera going back in place and the rotation which brings it to rest is more evident.

But I’m glad you like it! I’ll say it was intentional :sunglasses: